Friday, October 12, 2007

Pure Madness

Let the insanity begin. Basketball season is again approaching, and try as I may to stay away, I think I’m going to have to keep jotting down my thoughts again (more on that in a few weeks). With practices beginning this weekend, I’m kicking things off by doubling up and going to Wisconsin’s “Night of the Grateful Red” tonight and Marquette’s “Marquette Madness” on Saturday. I’m not totally sure why I’m devoting my weekend to this, since these events usually end up being completely underwhelming and cheesy. But like that first handful of circus peanuts, there’s just sort of an irrational draw that second rate slam dunk competitions and ill-conceived student free-throw contests have. I know on Monday I'll be lamenting my lost free time and saying "It seemed like a good idea at the time," but I still have to go to these things for fear of missing something like my first glimpse at the freakish athletic ability of Dominic James (which occurred two years ago at Marquette Madness).

Notably absent from the schedule is UWM’s “Panther Madness” on Friday night, which I’m unfortunately missing out on for two reasons. First, I object to any division one basketball kickoff event with an approximate start time that depends on when the women’s volleyball team finishes its match. Second, since I’m starting the evening off in Madison, there’s a better than average chance that I’ll stop to enjoy a post game beverage with friends, rather than rushing back to Milwaukee to join the small group of die-hard fans who’ve made it though both a volleyball match and a brief concert by the Boogiemen (my enjoyment of the Boogiemen, notwithstanding). I may be a basketball nerd, but even I need a break sometimes.

Back on Monday to report the thoroughly underwhelming details of my weekend. Links to info on the events below:

Night of the Grateful Red

Panther Madness

Marquette Madness

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger dl004d said...

The Big Ten Network is televising the Wisconsin event. I'll probably tune in (or TiVo) and then wonder why I did it.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flowers is taking a leave of absence from the team. Crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares