Friday, March 31, 2006

Novak Wins (No Surprise)

No time to write last night, so I’m doing this on the fly today. Three quick thoughts:

1) Steve Novak won the men’s college three-point competition last night, which came as no surprise to me. I didn’t see it (had to record it, as usual), but I saw Novak hit 27 (perhaps it was 26, but no less than that) out of 30 shots doing a similar competition at Marquette’s Midnight Madness celebration in the fall. When you’re shooting stationary shots off of a rack, I’ll take Novak over any other guy on the planet (including that Redick fellow who was conspicuously absent, due to an award he was accepting elsewhere). Of course, as his loss in the inter-gender three-point battle proved, there are women out there able to beat him (which is also no shock, considering that the women always perform really, really well in the three-point competition).

2) South Carolina officially wrapped up their 2nd straight NIT championship. Which begs the question–do you think that the South Carolina bookstore is selling t-shirts with phrases like "Back 2 Back" that you’d see if someone one consecutive NCAA or conference championships? Because I hope that such garments are being produced. The last t-shirt I can remember that could match that mix of celebrating excellence and mediocrity in one package would have to be my college roommates t-shirt celebrating the Wisconsin football team’s 1996 Copper Bowl championship.

3) Thanks to the people who took the time to email me and leave comments regarding the off-the-wall dunk from a few years ago. From the responses that I have received, I have discerned two things. One, the toss may just have been off the back wall, with no floor involved. Two, I am not completely insane.

1 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

Remember the women use a smaller ball so they should win the shooting contest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares