Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Four Quick Takes

1) Last night I saw the footage of the Army women’s team winning a game to get into the women’s NCAA tournament. I’ve never had a problem with students storming the court after a big win, but even I had to admit that it looked really bizarre having Army students storm the court in camouflage pants. It just reminded you that these students actually would know how to storm things other than a basketball court.

2) I’m loving Knight School more and more by the week. Last night I got the chance to see Sunday’s installment. Let’s just say that if you haven’t seen the segment where Bob Knight (and to a lesser extent, his staff) are trying to distract the walk-on candidates while they’re shooting free-throws, you need to do whatever you can to catch a replay sometime this week. Is there anything more entertaining than Bob Knight standing behind a 20-year-old student shooting free-throws and saying "I’m going to kick you in the ass if you miss this shot?"

3) I’m dying to find the time to watch ESPN’s documentary about Sebastian Telfair, Through the Fire. I love documentaries, and I’m probably going to spend a good part of the start of off-season watching the unwatched documentary DVD’s that have piled up in my apartment over the winter. This seems like a nice way to ease into things.

4) The NCAA tournament play-in game is tonight. Count me again as someone who won’t be watching. I hate this game. As I’ve said in the past, I think it’s an absolute travesty that Hampton and Monmouth, who both won their conference tourneys to assure themselves a bid to go to the NCAA tourney, have to play yet another game to get to the real tournament. And why? So that the tournament can give an extra at-large birth to some crap-ass team like Air Force who’s not going to win the tournament. So instead of some kid from Hampton (or Monmouth–I don’t know who’ll win) getting the thrill of his life, and stories that he’ll tell his grandkids about, some guy from Seton Hall will get to play yet another game in a big arena and joke to his friends that the nickname of the school that he’s playing against is "The Shockers." Doesn’t anyone else see how wrong this is?

1 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I could not agree with you more about the play-in game. At the very least, if they insist on having this travishamockery played, it should be between two at-large teams, not two teams that have won their conference tourneys and earned their way in. Just a darn shame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares