Friday, February 29, 2008

Perhaps The Greatest Night of Basketball Ever

There are good nights. There are great nights. And then there are nights like last night. Let's briefly recap the games that I saw last evening:

Milwaukee Washington vs. Milwaukee King: The undefeated, top-ranked high school team in the state loses by one point to a conference arch rival, who took the lead by hitting a well-contested three-pointer with 13 seconds left, and secured the win by deflecting the ball on Washington's final possession. Not to mention, like lots of other people, I never get to see regular season City Conference games in person, so this was a rare treat.

Milwaukee Custer vs. Tosa East: Two solid teams battle back and forth in last four minutes, go to overtime in dramatic fashion, and my alma mater comes out on top. Was arguably better than the first game of the night, and the first game of the night was one of the best I’ve seen all year.

Wisconsin vs. Michigan State: Wisconsin soundly beats the team that it’s most fun to watch them play against in the Big Ten, and by far the biggest roadblock in their quest for the conference championship.

That’s three games that could easily carry an entire evening (I didn’t even give thought to watching Louisville vs. Notre Dame, which I’d normally block off my night for), and all of them were crammed into one night. I only wish that the night hadn’t taken so long, since sleep has to take priority over passing along my oodles of thoughts on the games. On the bright side, the fact that I was up so late alerted me to the fact that in the wee hours of the night ESPN Classic is now showing AWA wrestling from 20 years ago. A Badger win and finding out that 1980s pro wrestling is on at midnight every night nowadays–is there any better way to cap an evening?

Back tonight or tomorrow morning with a rare weekend update. It’s just about March now, so I’ve got to get back on my game.

3 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right on. The sectional final 4 was amazing. No team deserved to lose, they all are State caliber teams. And for $7.50 - a reserved seat at the Al Center - for a double-header like that - Can't be matched.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger A. McCann said...

Hey Chris,

When did Arnie take over for Haas at Tosa East?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

This is Arnie's first year. Not a bad start, I'd say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares